Thinker-Tinker is a Los Angeles based ed-tech startup led by Forbes 30 Under 30 game creator Yuting Su and a strong team of industry veterans. We develop unique hardware-software tech solutions that bring kids' favorite characters to life with an expandable content library. Thinker-Tinker was part of the Comcast Techstars accelerator and is now working with Universal Brand Development to create a new interactive experience.
The world is getting smarter and so should play.
Join Thinker-Tinker at the forefront of innovative creations.
- Strong and experienced team. Forbes 30 Under 30, Disney Interactive and more
- Established relationship with Universal Brand Development and official licensee of the DreamWorks Trolls franchise
- Backed by Techstars and Comcast
- Research B2B pilot with medical institute
- 72% of customers purchased additional expansion packs for the platform
- Award winning idea. (Techcrunch Disrupt Top Picks in IOT, Robotics, and Hardware. Last Gadget Standing CES Finalist, SXSW Innovation Awards Finalist)
The growing presence of technology in children’s lives has led to a decrease in cognitive and social development.
Technology is taking over active curriculum and playtime. But it’s not the technology to be blamed. According to WHO’s suggestion, being sedentary is the issue. We provide an easy, innovative solution to build physical-digital learning experiences by incorporating mobile devices into interactive plush companions, changing the traditional idea of what we often call screen time.
Kids Screen Time is Increasing at a Crazy Rate:
- According to research, 85% of kids 8 years and under in the US are using mobile devices on a daily basis, and 54% of preschoolers now own their own device - and the numbers are just growing faster and faster.
- At Thinker-Tinker, we create solutions that can transform this screen time into quality, meaningful learning time. Our products seamlessly bring the physical and digital world together. By incorporating our mobile device into our interactive plush, Octobo, we change the traditional idea of what we often call ’screen time.’ Spending time with Octobo is more like playing with a physical friend who just happens to have a tablet inside as opposed to staring at a screen for hours.
Structured and Unstructured Play
- One of the biggest challenges in the children’s software space is appealing to those who prefer unstructured play (i.e. LEGO, Minecraft, dollhouses), and those who are looking for clear objectives and guidance (i.e. most video games). By creating a seamless blend between exploratory play and storybook adventures, the style of play can change from minute to minute with our platform, and every child can guide their own way to play.
- There’s no product in the market that can adapt to kids’ learning and developmental needs across a broad age span while providing customizable features.
Kids tech needs a breakthrough with a more comforting interface
- We need more warmth and emotion in kids tech products. Robots do not need to be hard and shiny, and screen time on TV and mobile devices does not need to be brainless - we are building a next generation interface for kids and families.
Hardware gadgets need to have the ability to upgrade and keep up with trends
- It’s not possible with built-in hardware. New hardware product R&D is time consuming and costly. It’s been a chicken and egg situation in the industry.
Thinker-Tinker’s patent pending INTERACTIVE PLUSH CHARACTER SYSTEM (No. 16/166,036), aka Octobo system, is built to transform passive screen time into customized, active learning and play time.
With a collection of unique interactive plush, educational storybooks and accessories, as well as an expandable app library, we empower adults with better tools to unlock kids’ potential through play.
We have developed our own IP, Octobo, the plush robot learning platform, and are using the same technology module on the new product line with Universal Brand Development.
We plan to launch Octobo SDK for business in Q3 2020 to allow partners to develop their own applications using our Octobo system.
First Product: Octobo, the plush robot companion / interactive play platform
Launched at CES 2020 and a finalists at CES's prestigious "Last Gadget Standing" competition and SXSW Innovation Awards, Octobo is our first product carrying the Interactive Plush Character System. Octobo brings a new pattern of play to the spectrum.
To learn more about Octobo, visit our company website.
What makes Octobo different?
Unlike other products, the Octobo platform is built on mobile software. It’s versatile, modular and expandable, which means that it can improve and upgrade easily over time.
It’s a device that is fun, educational, and can last for years.
A portion of the investment will be allocated in launching a new subscription service for Octobo to increase the LTV of the product. Subscription to Octobo Club will include a parents portal to provide more performance insight to parents, and bi-monthly content updates both in physical and digital forms.
“As a Master of Education from Harvard Graduate School of Education, a teacher, and a researcher focusing on childhood development, I believe Octobo can be a powerful socio-emotional, STEM, and literacy learning tool for young children. The customization and expansion features of Octobo make it unique and accessible for children of varying developmental stages. It’s so inspiring to see a toy that uses technology to stimulate positive interactions, emotional awareness, and most importantly, play amongst our youngest learners.”
“Octobo is different because he is not a screen-based babysitter for your child. He is a physical member of the family and adults and children can interact to learn new skills and bond through active storytelling”
Octobo SDK for business - going beyond B2C
We plan to launch the Octobo SDK for business in Q3 2020. We expect that this will open up our platform to other businesses and organizations to create their own interactive character for sectors like education, health, research and entertainment.
We are planning three tiers for our Octobo SDK:
- Basic - non-commercial license for individuals creating demo
- Basic+ - non-commercial license for organizations for research
- Enterprise - commercial license for using our SDK to power other brand IPs.
We currently have a paid 24 months pilot running with a medical institute in Taiwan under the Basic+ license. Additionally, we are in an ongoing conversation with a major Canadian media company for the Enterprise license.
Thinker-Tinker's Proprietary Hardware Packet
Our developed modular hardware packet can significantly reduce the time and cost for new hardware product development. Specially designed for soft surfaces, it’s one of the most reliable and low cost solutions in the market for soft goods.
“Thinker-Tinker have exhibited unique skills in leveraging technology, software and understanding of the consumer segments that can benefit from their method of smart integration. Octobo is a multimedia platform integrated into a plush toy - an Octopus - with sensors all over it, combined with games, content, apps and story books plus interactive pieces to show and give to Octobo. A very exciting product initially for the kids’ segment - infectious game playing and linked storytelling plus physical interactivity such as hugs, tentacle hand-shakes and offering up relevant ’tokens’ symbolising letters, animals and objects. It is in fact a potential platform for many applications where human touch and cognitive association are an important element of learning, therapy, leisure or entertainment. Octobo and Thinker-Tinker’s skills ‘Caught My Eye’ as having potential for them to produce a portfolio of creative, dynamic smart products.”
Music Stars powered by Thinker-Tinker
Planning to launch late 2020, Music Stars powered by Thinker-Tinker is an immersive physical-digital play experience with a line of collectible plush characters and its music-mashing companion mobile app focused on designing better and more engaging opportunities for players, all powered by Thinker-Tinker. Players will be able to create music through the power of rhythm, remixing and endless play. Our first launch will be featuring beloved characters from the DreamWorks Trolls franchise.
Honors and awards
- Pinup Design Award Best of Best
- Forbes 30 Under 30 in Games
- alt.ctrl.GDC selection
- IndieCade@E3 selection
- IndieCade Finalist and Nominee, IndiePrize Most Innovative Game Nominee, Best Kids and Family Game Nominee
“...direct interaction [with Octobo] might have the greatest potential for a true emotional and empathetic experience.”
Chris Bennett, Stanford University
“...a new approach to interactive toys”
Liana Kerzner, CGM Magazine
“...a single toy that operates on many different levels.”
Jason Bracelin, Las Vegas Review-Journal
“...a smart way to combine tech with old-school storytelling, and the design is incredibly cute.”
Devin Coldewey, TechCrunch
“While it may not look like it, Octobo is literally stuffed with technology.”
“This incredible plush toy combines sensory experiences and technology to provide tangible learning opportunities that kids of all ages can really get their hands on…”
Abi Schreier, Romper
“Thinker-Tinker has created a next-generation stuffed animal.”
Alexandra Whyte, Kidscreen
“Robots are so hot right now, and nothing can beat the feeling of cuddling a soft plush.”
Miranda Siwak, Toy Insider
- By 2022, the global gaming market is expected to hit $200 billion, about half of which is the mobile game industry. 10% of all revenue is expected to be generated from children and family games.
- Family Gamers’ game platform subscription rate is 2 times more than all gamers.
- The global Smart Toys market is projected to reach $18 billion in 2023.
- Interactive TV shows are among one of the hottest topics that is leading the trend.
From notable investors as Techstars and Comcast NBCUniversal
Vision & Roadmap
- Product expansion.
- Thinker-Tinker’s account and subscription system.
- Channel reach.
Our focus in 2020 is on marketing push and content expansion.
The investment will enable us to make key hires for development and marketing, accelerate the growth, and will help to increase the speed for digital production and the scale for physical production.
We want to be the kids brand for quality play and learning experience. We will lead the interactive kids edu-tainment space with cross-platform integration of toys, learning, and gaming. Our brand will penetrate into every household and schools and provides a sticky experience for everyday activities.
Yuting Su, Founder and CEO, has a dual Masters in Medical Informatics and Game Design from USC’s Cinema school. She had created multiple award-winning products in the hybrid game space before she started the company. As a Forbes 30 Under 30 in the Games, she is an experienced product designer, producer and UX researcher and well suited to lead and drive the creative force for Thinker-Tinker.
We have a strong design team of industry veterans - Patrick Baggatta and Emily Mullock, ex-Game Director and Art Director from Disney Interactive.
Use of Proceeds
If the offering's maximum amount of $1,069,995 is raised:
|Use||Value||% of Proceeds|
|Marketing for crowdfunding||$50,000||4.7%|
|Marketing for products||$311,665||29.1%|
This is an offering of Common Stock, under registration exemption 4(a)(6), in Thinker-Tinker, Inc. This offering must raise at least $10,000 by April 21, 2020 at 11:59pm ET. If this offering doesn’t reach its target, then your money will be refunded. Thinker-Tinker may issue additional securities to raise up to $1,069,995, the offering’s maximum.
If the offering is successful at raising the maximum amount, then the company’s implied valuation after the offering (sometimes called its post-money valuation) will be:
These financial statements have been reviewed by an independent Certified Public Accountant.
The Offering Statement is a formal description of the company and this transaction. It’s filed with the SEC to comply with the requirements of exemption 4(a)(6) of the Securities Act of 1933.
Ask a Question
Proofread your comment before submitting: once it's posted, you can’t edit or delete it. For the fastest help with the web site, email email@example.com instead of commenting.
Understand the Risks
Be sure to understand the risks of this type of investment. No regulatory body (not the SEC, not any state regulator) has passed upon the merits of or given its approval to the securities, the terms of the offering, or the accuracy or completeness of any offering materials or information posted herein. That’s typical for Regulation CF offerings like this one.
Neither Netcapital nor any of its directors, officers, employees, representatives, affiliates, or agents shall have any liability whatsoever arising from any error or incompleteness of fact or opinion in, or lack of care in the preparation or publication of, the materials and communication herein or the terms or valuation of any securities offering.
The information contained herein includes forward-looking statements. These statements relate to future events or to future financial performance, and involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other factors, that may cause actual results to be materially different from any future results, levels of activity, performance, or achievements expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. You should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements since they involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other factors, which are, in some cases, beyond the company’s control and which could, and likely will, materially affect actual results, levels of activity, performance, or achievements. Any forward-looking statement reflects the current views with respect to future events and is subject to these and other risks, uncertainties, and assumptions relating to operations, results of operations, growth strategy, and liquidity. No obligation exists to publicly update or revise these forward-looking statements for any reason, or to update the reasons actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements, even if new information becomes available in the future.